The Faculty of Arts and Monash Graduate Education are committed to helping graduate research students to make the most interesting opportunities and celebrate your success as you complete your research. Numerous of funding schemes are available to support your candidature.
|Masters by Research
|Monash Graduate Education Travel Grant||$1,175||$1,175|
|Faculty of Arts Travel Grant||$940||$940|
|Faculty of Arts Top-up Travel Grant||$700||$700|
|Faculty of Arts Graduate Research Funding||$4,000||$2,000|
|Total research support available to graduate research students||$6,815||$4,815|
- Discuss intentions to travel away from Monash University with your supervisor
- Check Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade (DFAT) travel advisories for international travel
- Speak with your Program Administrator about the application process
- All applications must be lodged at least 4 weeks in advance of the expected travel date. Retrospective applications will not be considered by Monash Graduate Education.
- Graduate research students are encouraged to make international travel bookings through one of Monash University’s two preferred travel management companies (Campus Travel or Voyager).
- Complete a hard copy Staff/HDR International Travel Plan (international travel only) and attach it with your Study Away/Travel Grant application when you submit it to your Program Administrator.
- Print the travel insurance emergency ecard (international travel only) – All Monash staff and graduate research students are automatically covered by the Monash University general insurance policy for up to 365 days when travelling on Monash approved activity by the University’s travel insurance policy with Accident Health Insurance (AHI).
- Complete a Study Away/Travel Grant form
- Travel Grant The travel grant assists with travelling expenses of graduate research students who are on approved study away from the University. Travel expenses include airfares and train fares but do not include items such as visas, travel insurance, conference registration or accommodation.
- Study Away Graduate Research students are required to obtain permission to “Study Away” when travelling interstate for longer than six (6) weeks OR overseas for their research or university work.
- Email the Monash Study Away/Travel Grant application to your Program Administrator
- Please ensure that you and your supervisor have signed all forms and attached required supporting documents before submitting them to your Program administrator
- Supporting documentation includes conference registration, evidence of acceptance of conference presentation, acceptance to work in an overseas archive etc. The forms will then be endorsed and signed by the Program Director and the Faculty of Arts Associate Dean Graduate Research, before being submitted to Monash Graduate Education.
What is funded?Applications for funding can be made at any time during candidature:
- Masters students can apply for up to a maximum of $2,000 during candidature (i.e. 2 years full-time equivalent)
- Doctoral students can apply for up to a maximum of $4,000 during candidature (i.e. 4 years full-time equivalent)
Finance guidelines for student reimbursement
Expenditure incurred by students for the approved research activities will be reimbursed where appropriate supporting documents have been provided.
To claim reimbursement
Complete all of and sign the attached Reimbursement Claim Form.
A) Attach the supporting documents as proof of payments. Acceptable supporting documents are:
- A good-quality, electronic copy of the tax invoice/receipt that state "Tax Invoice" and include an ABN (for expenses in Australia). EFTPOS receipts can be accepted for small expenses less than $82.50 (including GST).
- The tax invoice must show proof the expense has been paid by either:
- The invoice has a paid balance owing of $0 or/
- If paid by cash, shows the amount paid, cash given, and change received or/
- Shows the payment method ie/ paid by Visa Card XXXX XXXX 123 or/
- A copy of the EFTPOS receipt with the invoice, a copy of your bank statement.
B) If you do not have any of the supporting documents as above, please complete the statutory declaration form attached stating that you have incurred the expenses.
If your total claim is under $100, you can declare the total.
If your total claim is over $100 you must list each expense you have paid and the total.
Ensure your statutory declaration form is signed by the authorised witness listed at the bottom of the form.
If you do not provide the above documents (A or B), your claim cannot be processed.
Reimbursements will not be paid for:
- Claims made more than 12 months after the date the expense was incurred, unless evidence of exceptional circumstances is provided and approved by the Associate Dean Graduate School or Program Director;
- For purchases of goods and/or services from University staff or their family members;
- For fines incurred by students to the University – fines incurred are the responsibility of the person who has incurred the fine;
- University parking permits.
- Purchase of IT equipment over $300.
Please allow a minimum processing time of 10 business days from the date of submission for your payment to be received.
All reimbursement claims should be forwarded to finance officers at: firstname.lastname@example.org