The Faculty of Arts and Monash Graduate Education are committed to helping graduate research students to make the most interesting opportunities and celebrate your success as you complete your research. Numerous of funding schemes are available to support your candidature.
|Masters by Research
|Monash Graduate Education Travel Grant||$1,175||$1,175|
|Faculty of Arts Travel Grant||$940||$940|
|Faculty of Arts Top-up Travel Grant||$700||$700|
|Faculty of Arts Graduate Research Funding||$4,000||$2,000|
|Total research support available to graduate research students||$6,815||$4,815|
- Discuss intentions to travel away from Monash University with your supervisor
- Check Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade (DFAT) travel advisories for international travel
- Speak with your Program Administrator about the application process
- All applications must be lodged at least 4 weeks in advance of the expected travel date. Retrospective applications will not be considered by Monash Graduate Education.
- Graduate research students are encouraged to make international travel bookings through one of Monash University’s two preferred travel management companies (Campus Travel or Voyager).
- Complete a hard copy Staff/HDR International Travel Plan (international travel only) and attach it with your Study Away/Travel Grant application when you submit it to your Program Administrator.
- Print the travel insurance emergency ecard (international travel only) – All Monash staff and graduate research students are automatically covered by the Monash University general insurance policy for up to 365 days when travelling on Monash approved activity by the University’s travel insurance policy with Accident Health Insurance (AHI).
- Complete a Study Away/Travel Grant form
- Travel Grant The travel grant assists with travelling expenses of graduate research students who are on approved study away from the University. Travel expenses include airfares and train fares but do not include items such as visas, travel insurance, conference registration or accommodation.
- Study Away Graduate Research students are required to obtain permission to “Study Away” when travelling interstate for longer than six (6) weeks OR overseas for their research or university work.
- Email the Monash Study Away/Travel Grant application to your Program Administrator
- Please ensure that you and your supervisor have signed all forms and attached required supporting documents before submitting them to your Program administrator
- Supporting documentation includes conference registration, evidence of acceptance of conference presentation, acceptance to work in an overseas archive etc. The forms will then be endorsed and signed by the Program Director and the Faculty of Arts Associate Dean Graduate Research, before being submitted to Monash Graduate Education.
The Faculty of Arts provides funding to graduate research students to offset the reasonable costs that may be incurred in implementing the research design or disseminating the findings of a student's research. Funding is intended to support research-related expenditure as approved by the Program Director and otherwise not available through Monash Graduate Education.
What is funded?
Applications for funding can be made at any time during candidature:
- Masters students can apply for up to a maximum of $2,000 during candidature (i.e. 2 years full-time equivalent)
- Doctoral students can apply for up to a maximum of $4,000 during candidature (i.e. 4 years full-time equivalent)
Common funding approvals include, but are not limited to, conference registrations, publications, accommodation expenses while on approved study away, thesis proof reading and printing, performance expenses, consumable items related to your research (e.g. Postage, business cards, participant incentives etc).
Common funding exclusions include, but are not limited to, IT equipment (e.g. Laptops, computers, iPads etc), journal subscriptions and passport renewals.
Please ensure you apply for funding in advance and do not assume that funding has been approved until you have received written confirmation. Approved funding will be paid via reimbursement for incurred costs.
More detailed information is available on the Faculty of Arts Graduate Research Funding Form.
- Claims must be accompanied by a compliant tax invoice/receipt for incurred expenses. The receipt/invoice must state “Tax Invoice” and include an ABN. EFTPOS receipts cannot be accepted.
- A good-quality, electronic copy of the tax invoice/receipt should be provided. The original (hard-copy) document is not necessary and should be kept by students for your personal record.
- If there is no valid tax invoice, a statutory declaration and bank statement will be required.
- Claims made more than six months after the date the expense was incurred, unless evidence of exceptional circumstances is provided to the Program Director.
- For purchases of goods and/or services from University staff or their family members
- For fines incurred by students or visitors to the University – fines incurred are the responsibility of the person who has incurred the fine.
- University parking permits.