Monash University offers students the opportunity to study for 1 or 2 Semesters on Exchange at one of our many partner universities all around the world. Please visit the Monash Abroad website to find out more about Exchange and to see the list of partner universities on offer.
Students are also able to organise their Semester Study Abroad independently if they wish to study at a non-partner university. Please note that this is only an option if you have already exhausted all opportunities with exchange partners first. It is also a more expensive option as all tuition fees will need to be paid to the host institution. Please see our Study Abroad page for more information.
The Faculty works with Monash Abroad to approve the academic component of your Exchange program.
Arts Global Programs is responsible for Study Plan approvals, Enrolments, & Results assessment.
|Sem 1 Exchange||Sem 2 Exchange|
|Study Plan Due||15 April (year before)||15 October (year before)|
|Pre-Departure Session (Compulsory)||November||June|
1. Check that you meet the eligibility requirements of the Arts Faculty Exchange Policy.
2. Visit the Monash Abroad Website for more information on the full application process.
3. Request a Course Progression Check online from the Arts Faculty. Use the comments section to ask “How many units do I have free for Major/Minor/Electives on exchange?”.
Prepare your Study Plan
4. Download and complete electronic study plan.
5. Find URL links to Course Outlines for the units you wish to study (you will paste these into your online submission form). Please ensure you provide information for AT LEAST 8 units (this allows for changes to country such as units getting cancelled or being full).
Submit your Study Plan
6. Gather your course progression check, completed study plan form, links to course outlines and departmental approval if required.
Apply to Monash Abroad
|8. Once you have received your approved study plan, please submit your full Monash Abroad Exchange & Study Abroad Application Form (that includes your approved study plan) to Monash Abroad by the appropriate deadline.|
When you get back
9. Your results will be released once the Faculty has received a verified copy of your host university transcript.
- Loans: There are a number of loans available to assist you in financing your overseas study program.
- Travel Insurance: All outgoing students will receive complementary travel insurance.
- Tuition Fees: Monash students will be charged fees according to their verified funding status. This fee will appear on your Monash Fee Statement. Non-Monash students must contact firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire about tuition fees.
- Scholarships: There are many scholarships available to you. Find out what you’re eligible for!
Why do we assess study plans?
- To ensure the units in your host country can count towards your major / minor
- To ensure the teaching level of the units fits in your course progression
- To assess credit point equivalency
Is exchange hard to apply for?
It is not hard but it is long. You will need to plan your exchange over a year in advance
I have only completed 42 cps by the Monash Abroad deadline, can I still apply?
Unfortunately, you must have completed 48 cps by the time you apply
How many semesters can I study on exchange?
Arts students can exchange for up to three semesters
What is the minimum credit points I can study on exchange?
Can I overload on exchange?
I can’t find any unit outlines on my host university website. What do I do?
Host university websites can be very confusing. Often it takes longer than you think to find what you need. We recommend you search through the search bar on the host’s website, through specific departments (as there may not be a ‘handbook’ like we have at Monash) or do a Google search (often this picks up links that may be broken on the host’s website). If there are no unit outlines available on their site, you will need to make a request for certain unit outlines through Monash Abroad. This often takes a very long time
I have been accepted onto exchange, can I enrol via WES?
No, students cannot not enrol in exchange units via WES. To ensure you will receive credit for these units and that they have been approved toward an area of study relevant to your degree, you must submit a proxy exchange enrolment form electronically. The Arts Learning Abroad Coordinator will send you the link once your acceptance email has been received by the Faculty
Do I have to apply for the Monash Abroad Travel Scholarship
No, there is no additional application. Monash Abroad will distribute the scholarships to all students approved to study on exchange and study abroad and who are deemed eligible
I am currently on Centrelink, can the Faculty write me an enrolment letter so my payments continue while I’m overseas?
Arts Global Programs can provide a letter confirming your enrolment overseas for Centrelink purposes. If you wish to request a letter, please fill out the form here.
Please ensure that check your eligibility, under the ‘managing your payment’ tab on the Austudy website.
If my enrolment at my host university changes and I do not update the Arts Faculty about these changes, what could be the financial and academic penalties that I could occur?
If you do not update the Faculty on changes to your enrolment, there may be financial and academic penalties. There is more information on the penalties on the ‘Changing your enrolment: Add or discontinue units’ webpage
It has been 6 months since I have returned from my exchange. Why are my results not yet updated on my WES?
Faculties must wait for your host university to send an original transcript to Monash Abroad. Monash Abroad will then send the Faculties a certified copy. So if your results are not updated, it means the Faculty has not yet received your transcript. If you have received a transcript from your host university directly, please take your transcript to Monash Abroad.
I have an N on my transcript but I passed all of my units at my host institution. Why is this the case and how can I change it?
This may mean two things: i) your host university transcript sent to the Faculty is missing a mark – please contact Monash Abroad and request for an updated transcript; OR ii) you have not completed the correct amount of host university and therefore the Faculty has failed you for the equivalent Monash credit.