Credit points: 6
Location: Monash Prato Centre, Italy
Coordinator: Associate Professor Kevin Foster
Program type: Arts Semester in Prato
– APPLICATIONS CLOSED –
Through seminars, workshops and fieldwork this unit will examine how conflict has been represented, remembered and memorialised. The unit will have a specific focus on World War 2, the Italian Resistance, and the massacre of civilians in Tuscany and Emilia Romagna. The unit will consider how written and visual responses to these events, material forms of remembrance – monuments, memorials, museums, and cemeteries in, or within reach of Prato – each function to memorialise the dead and how in articulating political and national ideologies, such sites acknowledge and incorporate countervailing ideologies and the contradictory testimony of survivors. Students will be invited to move beyond a purely theoretical understanding of these issues by visiting museums, massacre sites and their memorials, examining and critiquing their mediation and creating a critical/creative response to one such site.
– KEY DATES –
|2017 Sem 2 Program||2018 Sem 2 Program|
|Pre-Departure Session (Compulsory)||17 May 2017||May 2018|
|Overseas Dates||25 September – 20 October 2017 (Block 1)||24 September – 19 October 2018 (Block 1)|
|Results||Check here||Check here|
– PROGRAM FEE –
|Deposit (Paid on application)||$300|
|Balance (Paid on acceptance into program)||$0|
– TUITION FEE –
Monash students will be charged fees according to their verified funding status. This fee will appear on your Monash Fee Statement. Non-Monash students must contact firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire about tuition fees.
– ACCOMMODATION –
Students participating in the Semester in Prato program must stay in Prato during their program dates. There are many great options close to the Prato Centre that you will book independently.
– ADDITIONAL COSTS –
- Spending money
- International return airfare* and associated transfers
* Please note, students should not book flights until after your application has been endorsed by the Faculty and the Faculty has confirmed the program will be going ahead.
How to Apply
Applications open: Applications for 2018 Semester 2 will open November 2017.
Applications close: Applications for 2017 Semester 2 are now closed.
- Read the full application process
- Register your Expression of Interest for 2018 Semester 2 Program here.
* Art Study Tour units have a minimum number of students to be able to go ahead. Students should not make any travel arrangements until the Faculty has endorsed their application and confirmed the program will be going ahead.