Chinese Studies

Chinese studies at Monash offers a world-class program integrating study of language and culture from complete beginner to advanced language proficiency levels, including a dedicated translation stream for advanced speakers.

Available as a major or minor.

Currently studying a VCE language?

The VCE Languages Conference (Monash, 13 & 14 July, 2017) is your opportunity to enhance your detailed study project and potentially improve your study score!
Register now...

What is it?

More people speak Chinese than any other language in the world. Chinese is a tonal language with its own unique writing system common to all dialects. Learning Chinese is no more difficult than most foreign languages.

The standard form of the language, better known as Mandarin Chinese, is an official language of the United Nations and is the national language of China and Taiwan. It is an important language of education in Singapore and Hong Kong, and is widely understood among overseas Chinese communities throughout Southeast Asia. China is becoming the powerhouse of the world economy.  In fact, all these economies are amongst the fastest growing in the world and are of increasing importance to Australia within both government and private sectors. Australia also maintains educational and cultural exchanges with China, and tourism between Australia and China is growing.


How to Study

If the iframe doesn't display correctly please click here to view the page in a new window.

Click here for fees, entry requirements and intake information for domestic and international students.

Major: 8 units (48 points) taken over 3 years. This is the area of study you choose to specialise in.

Minor: 4 units (24 points) taken from an area of study that is different to your major.

You must complete 48 credit points (8 units) of your course before you are eligible to go on exchange. Usually this means waiting until your second or third year of study to go on exchange.

We consider you an international student if you are not:

  • an Australian or New Zealand citizen, or
  • an Australian permanent resident.

Note: We consider Australian and New Zealand citizens and Australian permanent residents as local students.

Find out more information on how to apply as an international student

An extended major made up of 12 units (96 points) taken over three years.

Student Opportunities

Career Prospects

Graduates proficient in Chinese are in demand both in government departments and in the business world. The following career paths could be considered:

  • trade – export and import industries
  • international finance – joint ventures
  • transnational corporations
  • defence
  • tourism
  • foreign affairs
  • teaching (extra qualification required)
  • social work
  • legal professions.

The best career strategy is to combine the study of Chinese language with an appropriate discipline. For government service, for example, the study of history, politics or economics would complement language study well; in the business sphere, economics or law would be an asset

Chinese Studies at Monash

Chinese is one of the largest language programs at Monash University and is taught on the Clayton campus. Several entry points are available to meet the specific needs of different students, ranging from introductory to advanced proficiency levels.

Study Abroad

As a Monash student, you have the option to make your course an international one. One option is to study at a Monash campus abroad, with Malaysia, South Africa or Prato to choose from. You can do an exchange at a partner university, or study abroad at a university of your choice. You choose where you want to go and we’ll help you get there.

Entry Levels

After acceptance into your degree the Chinese Studies program conducts diagnostic entry level test to ensure that new students who have previously studied Chinese enrol at the level most appropriate for their current language proficiency. Students with no previous Chinese language background, students unable to read or write any Chinese, or students who have completed at least three years of Chinese secondary education (in China, Hong Kong or Taiwan) are not required to take an entry level test .

Find out what your entry level would be...